The history of the automotive production site in Brussels goes back to the year 1949. It all began with the construction of the first production plant, and the establishment of the factory as "Anciens Etablissements D´Ieteren Frères". Five years later, the VW Beetle was manufactured there – a total of 1.1 million units. In 1970, the company was taken over by Volkswagen AG. Since 2007, the site has belonged to AUDI AG and is managed under the name AUDI BRUSSELS S.A./N.V.